So i’ve been watching the forums here and I really like seeing all the work that has been done by everyone.
This time I wanted to share our latest two projects done here at Colorbleed, a company which might need a short introduction.
Colorbleed is a small new studio in the Netherlands focusing on animations for Short films, Music Videos, Commercials, etc.
Mac ‘n’ Cheese Supermarket
About two years ago we released our graduation project Mac ‘n’ Cheese which kickstarted our company.
Ever since back then we were trying to get funding to create a new episode in the Mac ‘n’ Cheese franchise, and we finally did.
Check it out here:
We used this project to really focus on our workflow and pipeline to get everything we do in the studio more streamlined.
This meant designing our own folder structure, incorporating Alembic into our workflow combined with our own shader relations (using JSON) format.
Alongside doing this we had to fill a supermarket with many products in a convenient way, so we wrote some display filling algorithms (raycasting for putting objects within the bounding box of the object.)
This was an ongoing development, so still many displays were ordered and filled by hand.
Though we could have never done this without even simple offsetting and ordering tools we built.
Between the first Mac ‘n’ Cheese and the second we switched from Mental Ray to V-Ray.
In Mental Ray with the bigger scenes we had a lot of incosistent errors during batch renders (random black frames/spots), also V-ray seemed to take up the bigger scenes much easier.
Also the vrayScenes allowed us to easily render totally separate from Maya, which probably reduced a lot of the errors.
Mr Probz - I’m right here
Together with dutch artist Mr. Probz we came up with a scenario for his new song I’m right here.
From the beginning he was looking for a new style that fitted the song, so this is what we came up with:
For this project we had 8 weeks of production time and about 3.5 weeks in we finally had an idea of what kind of style we wanted to do for this.
That’s when we started prototyping the first 3D visual designs, and especially how we could do this in 3D (and even in Maya…)
Somehow Maya natively was giving a hard time trying to do what we wanted for the prototypes so we quickly chose to write our own C++ plug-in.
In the end we wrote a system that allows us to project paint streaks (actual geometry) onto the existing geometry which is renderable with V-ray.
Then we started adding a toolset that allowed us to quickly visualize the streaks and gave the ability to tweak the size and amount on the different objects.
This was actually the first project we rendered on 4k; we chose to render it this size (after our first prototypes) because it allowed some more detail to come through in the end.
Luckily the technique really allowed for sizes like that: 5 frames rendered 5-15 minutes on a single workstation at 4k, that is 1-3 minutes per frame.
Hope you like it!