[3ds][python] Retrieve an object assigned material ID?

Hi,

I’m trying to write a script that exports a list of objects with their corresponding materials.

I’m stuck with the multi-sub object because

1. I have to determine the material ID of an object
  2. And from the material ID go back to the multi-sub object and retrieve the actual material.

Is there a way I can get the material ID of an object?

Interestingly, the objects only uses one material from the multi sub object. So I don’t have to query all the polygons/component. Only one is needed.

As you might know, the help(object) doesn’t work in pymxs. Doesn’t have any help information.
I tried dir(object). It doesn’t list any method for the material ID. I’m also lost in the documentation.

Is there a way around this?

Just check maxscript docs really and you can then shove pymxs.runtime in front of the calls generally
But anyways, you can try to cheat a bit and use EditableMesh like something in

where you use snapshotasmesh to get a list back.

Another “potentially” quick way I’ve done this in the past is to do something like (psuedo code as I don’t have max installed atm)

for mat_id in range(1, myMultiSub.numsubs + 1 ):
       # try to select all faces using the mat id
       pymxs.runtime.myEPoly.selectByMaterial(mat_id)
       # then check to see if there is any actual faces selected
       if not pymxs.runtime.polyop.getFaceSelection(myEpoly).isEmpty:
           # if this gets here you know you "should" have at least one face on your model with a material on it
           # so do what you want with it

Not that I think it’s super performant but it should be “quick enough” since you really just need to check how ever many mats are in your multisub…unless it’s massive for some reason